Nir Menachemi, Ph.D., M.P.H. is Professor, Fairbanks Endowed Chair, and serves as Chair of the Health Policy a... Read Bio
The AcademyHealth Board of Directors created the HSR Impact Award to recognize research that has had a significant impact on health care and health, by the successful translation and adoption of the research findings into health policy, health care delivery, management, or clinical practice. Impact can occur at a local, state, regional, or national level. A single highly impactful study or body of work conducted by an individual researcher or research team are eligible for nomination. Nominations representing minority-serving institutions and individuals and teams from minoritized and historically excluded groups are encouraged.
AcademyHealth will promote widely the awarded research and individual(s) receiving the award as part of AcademyHealth's dedicated efforts to raise the visibility of and communicate the importance of health services research for equitable healthcare delivery and decision-making. The award will be announced at the Annual Research Meeting and one team representative will receive one complimentary registration and lodging for one night to the conference in order to accept the award.
The nomination period is now closed.
- Research may be published or unpublished, a single study or a body of work, the work of an individual or a team.
- The conduct of the research should have occurred within the past 15 years; however, the dissemination, use of research and impact stemming from the research must have occurred within the last five years before the year of nomination.
- The letter of recommendation should be from a user of research (e.g., a patient, a community partner, a policymaker, a health system leader, a regulator, etc), not necessarily the nominator, however, they can be the same person.
- Self-nominations will be accepted.
Each nomination will be evaluated on:
- Quality of research;
- Effectiveness of research dissemination and translation approach;
- Evidence of impact on health, health care, and/or patient outcomes; and
- Effort to translate research into policy and practice to improve health and healthcare.
Nomination must include:
- A summary describing the research, the translation approach, and the impact on policy, health care delivery and/or practice (no more than 500 words). The summary should include the following:
- The name(s) and title(s) of the primary researcher(s) who conducted the original research.
- The names of any other key team members involved in research, dissemination and/or implementation of the work.
- A description of steps taken to disseminate and translate the work. If relevant, the names and roles played by a communications team may also be included.
- The names or descriptions of user(s) of the research, who championed change/implementation based on the research.
- A single letter from a principal user of this research specifically describing the impact of the research on policy and/or practice (no more than 500 words)
- Up to five (5) supporting documents that illustrate the impact and research quality (i.e. peer-reviewed publication, legal, regulatory or policy text, system policies or guidelines, media coverage, etc.). Marketing materials are not acceptable.
For awards related questions, please contact Troi Jones.