Nir Menachemi, Ph.D., M.P.H. is Professor, Fairbanks Endowed Chair, and serves as Chair of the Health Policy a... Read Bio
The AcademyHealth Board of Directors created the HSR Impact Award to recognize research that has had a significant impact on health and health care. The award, supported by AcademyHealth, is intended to identify and promote examples of outstanding research that has been successfully translated into health policy, management, or clinical practice in order to address cost, quality, access, equity and/or patient outcomes and the delivery of care. The HSR Impact Award recognizes translation and implementation and reflects our vision to improve health and health care through the application and use of evidence. For this reason, nominations may include individual efforts or full bodies of work. Nominations should include a description of the key team members and the role each played in the creation, dissemination and or implementation of the work. For example, a nomination might include the primary investigator, a user who championed change/implementation and/or the communications team that promoted the work.
The winning work will be promoted widely as part of AcademyHealth's ongoing efforts to raise the visibility of the field of health services research and communicate its value for health care decision-making. The award will be announced at the Annual Research Meeting and a team representative will receive one complimentary registration.
The nomination period has closed.
- Research may be published or unpublished, a single study or a body of work, the work of an individual or a team.
- The conduct of the research should have occurred within the past 15 years; however, the dissemination, use of research and impact stemming from the research must have occurred within the last five years before the year of nomination.
- The letter of recommendation should be from a user of research (e.g. a policymaker, a health system leader, a regulator), not necessarily the nominator, however, they can be the same person.
- Self-nominations will be accepted.
Each nomination will be evaluated on:
- Quality of research;
- Effectiveness of research dissemination and translation approach;
- Evidence of impact on health, health care, and/or patient outcomes; and
- Effort to translate research into policy and practice to improve health and healthcare
Nomination must include:
- A summary describing the research, the translation approach, and the impact on policy, health care delivery and/or practice (no more than 500 words). The summary should include the following:
- The name(s) and title(s) of the primary researcher(s) who conducted the original research
- The names of any other key team members involved in research, dissemination and/or implementation of the work.
- A description of steps taken to disseminate and translate the work. If relevant, the names and roles played by a communications team may also be included.
- The names or descriptions of user(s) of the research, who championed change/implementation based on the research.
- A single letter from a principal user(s) of this research specifically describing the impact of the research on policy and/or practice (no more than 500 words)
- Up to five (5) supporting documents that illustrate the impact and research quality (i.e. peer-reviewed publication, legal, regulatory or policy text, system policies or guidelines, media coverage, etc.). Marketing materials are not acceptable.
For awards related questions, please contact Troi Jones.