Us: AcademyHealth is a leading national organization serving the fields of health services and policy research and the professionals who produce and use this important work. As a non-partisan organization and a purveyor of evidence, our advocacy priorities are guided by building a robust environment to produce health services research and enhance the dissemination and use of it. Put simply, health services research is the science of study that determines what works, for whom, at what cost, and under what circumstances. It studies how our health system works, how to support patients and providers in choosing the right care, and how to improve health through care delivery. Specifically, the advocacy efforts will focus on promoting research and science innovation, health systems improvement, resilience, capacity, and proactively reducing health disparities, including for racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and geographic factors.
Diversity is a core value at AcademyHealth. We believe that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, lived experiences, and skills.
You: A current or recent graduate student who wants hands-on experience in applying their health policy and health systems knowledge and research skills to federal advocacy. You are passionate about promoting a health system that focuses on providing the best health outcomes for all through support for evidence-based policymaking, and are interested in learning new skills to further your future career.
During this fellowship program, you will:
- Work alongside the Director of Advocacy to advance the mission and objectives of AcademyHealth through advocacy, public policy, education, and policy communication.
- Draft and edit short research memos, one-pagers, and writeups of briefings.
- Track relevant legislation and policy issues, such as federal appropriations or authorizing bills.
- Learn how to communicate with federal policymakers, including in Congress and the Administration.
- Write relevant blog posts, text, or social media content to promote advocacy priorities.
- Network with and learn alongside top experts in the field of HSR.
- Attend and help plan policy events and briefings.
- Provide administrative support as needed.
A current student in a relevant science, health, or related degree graduate program, including but not limited to M.P.H., M.P.P., M.S.N., or Ph.D., or a recent graduate of one of these programs.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Previous policymaking or advocacy experience is a plus, but not necessary.
Start and end dates are flexible, but would prefer a fellow from January through May.
This fellowship can be completed remotely or in the D.C. area.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Advocacy@AcademyHealth.org by October 27.