David Asch is Executive Director of the Penn Medicine Center for Health Care Innovation and the John Morgan Pr... Read Bio
The Distinguished Career Award is AcademyHealth’s highest career award, recognizing leaders who have made significant and lasting contributions to the field of health services research (HSR). Awardees have impacted the field through advancement of science and methods, leadership, mentorship, scholarship and teaching, and/or the application of health services and policy evidence to improve health and health care. Recipients are established leaders in the field, and may reflect expertise and impact across multiple sectors (e.g. academic, government, delivery systems, industry), and disciplines. They may be based in the U.S. or elsewhere internationally. The award will be presented at the Annual Research Meeting and the winner will receive one complimentary registration.
The nomination period has closed.
Eligibility and Nomination Criteria
- Nominees must have demonstrated a long-standing commitment to the field as would be expected from a career or ‘capstone’ award. Careers spanning 25 or more years will be typical.
- Nominations must include two letters of nomination:
- Letter reflecting on the contributions of the nominee, including a description of the nominee's specific contributions to health services research (described in sufficient detail to distinguish these from generic activities). Nominators should describe the corresponding significance and/or impact of these contributions, especially as they relate to Distinguished Achievement and Review Criteria.
- Letter from at least one mentee, current or past, outlining service as a mentor and how the nominee has trained emerging leaders.
- Nominations must include a curriculum vitae.
- Self-nominations are accepted.
- Nominees and nominators must be members of AcademyHealth.
- Distinguished Achievement may include activities such as (1) Contributions of lasting value, (2) Leadership role(s), (3) Development of new ideas, techniques, methodologies or technologies, (4) Outstanding service to multiple organizations serving the field.
- Unique contributions to the field of health services research
- Service to field of HSR in mentoring and training emerging leaders and advocacy
- Advancement of Science and Methods
- Development of new ideas, techniques, methodologies or technologies
- Demonstrable Impact or Legacy
- Contributions that had measurable impact on our health care system through their research, advocacy, government service or private sector leadership
- Outstanding service to multiple organizations serving the field
- Exemplary application of HSR to improve health and health care delivery.
- Additional Contributions
- Contributions of lasting value, i.e., legacy
- Contributions that may be spectacular and rare
For awards related questions, please contact Troi Jones.