The nomination period for the HCUP Award for Outstanding Research, sponsored by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and AcademyHealth, is now open! Applications will be accepted from October 17, 2022 through November 23, 2022. Winners will be notified via email by April 21, 2023. Recipients will be recognized publicly during an HCUP session at the 2023 AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting (ARM) taking place in Seattle, Washington, on June 25–27, 2023.
The HCUP Award for Outstanding Research (previously called the Outstanding Article of the Year Award) recognizes research published in peer-reviewed journals during January 1, 2021–June 30, 2022, that used the HCUP databases to explore and address healthcare topics and issues. Work honored demonstrates how HCUP has contributed to the healthcare services field.
The HCUP Award for Outstanding Research winners will be announced at the 2023 AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting (ARM) in June. Winners will be provided complimentary meeting registration to attend ARM 2023, taking place in Seattle, Washington, and can present their research during an HCUP session.
Eligibility and Criteria
All nominations must (1) have used HCUP database(s) and been published in a peer-reviewed journal during January 1, 2021–June 30, 2022, and (2) demonstrate that the work excels in these core criteria:
- Originality of the use of HCUP data
- Quality and suitability of methods and research design for HCUP data
- Policy or clinical relevance
- Significance, implication, and translation of research
Articles may be on any subject that can be investigated using HCUP data. The following are some topic examples:
- Clinical innovations and/or medical practice enhancements
- Advancements in the understanding of a condition or procedure
- New or alternative research design approaches in viewing outcomes
- Contributions to understanding the health services field through data linkages or enhancements
- Characteristics of a healthcare market or the U.S. healthcare system
- Identification of healthcare practices (or changes in practices and behavior) within or across a population
- Impact of changes in healthcare behavior or policy
- Improvements on the understanding of healthcare policy initiatives
- Demonstrations of how research can be translated into policy or practice
- HCUP Award for Outstanding Research Reference Page
- Past HCUP Award for Outstanding Research Recipients
For award-related questions, please contact HCUPPres@us.ibm.com.