Us: The professional home and leading national organization for health services researchers, policymakers, and health care practitioners and stakeholders. AcademyHealth – together with its members and partners – increases the understanding of methods and data used in the field, enhances the professional skills of a vibrant and diverse community of researchers and research users, supports the implementation of evidence to improve policy and practice, and advocates for the use of evidence to improve health and health care for all. Our established priorities are: Science Innovation; Health Systems Improvement, Resilience and Capacity: and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Diversity is a core value at AcademyHealth. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment for all and transforming our field to achieve higher impact, more equitable research.
You: An early-to-mid-career professional who is kind, self-motivated, curious, highly organized, flexible, a strong writer, eager to take on new challenges, and capable of managing external stakeholder relationships and day-to-day project activities.
We believe that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. As such, you do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position – applications are welcomed from a broad range of applicants.
How you’ll contribute:
In this newly created position, the Senior Research Associate will provide substantive content, analysis, and administrative project management support to advance the use of evidence-based research and promote equity in health policy and practice. Specifically, this role will support a project that is using tools like “design thinking” to innovate how health services research (HSR) is conducted or used to enhance its relevance, timeliness, quality, impact, and equity. This individual will provide day-to-day management of research and analysis, meetings communications, and other tasks essential to the project’s success.
- Conduct and summarize research related to learning health systems; policies and organizations relevant for the health services research (HSR) community; diversity, equity, and inclusion in the HSR workforce; social determinants of health; health equity; community health; and other topics.
- Contribute to research, analysis, synthesis, and products such as environmental scans, literature reviews, semi-structured interviews, surveys, and data visualizations.
- Provide research, technical assistance, and other support to “design thinking” or similar innovation processes, stakeholder communities, and learning networks.
- Lead project management efforts including tracking and managing work plan activities, timelines, and deliverables.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with diverse and representative partners and stakeholders.
- Develop, organize and format program deliverables for submission.
- Support agenda design and discussion synthesis for activities such as conference calls, webinars, and in-person meetings.
- Assist in the development of new programs and projects including drafting proposals, and help to cultivate relationships with potential funders and subcontractors.
- Conduct agenda development, presenter coordination, and materials preparation for small and large meetings, briefings, conference calls, and webinars.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Familiarity with human-centered design (HCD) or design thinking, product/app design, “strategic storytelling,” “social impact strategy” and/or other approaches to innovating organizations, social systems, processes, and products.
- A minimum 3 years of substantive professional experience in health policy and/or health services research.
- Master’s degree in health, public policy, business or science/technology studies; data science; design science; innovation science, organizational management and transformation, and/or entrepreneurship; science and technology studies; health services research (HSR); or a related field from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills,.
- Demonstrated project management experience, including demonstrated ability to efficiently plan, organize and manage complex, multiple projects simultaneously with limited supervision or direction.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and maintain a system of tracking, monitoring and prioritizing tasks and projects.
- Commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to inclusive working and/or learning environments.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Strong analytic and critical thinking skills.
- Self-starter with a “can-do” attitude and willingness to pitch in as needed to do what it takes to provide high-quality products and services.
- Mature, detail-oriented individual able to work both independently and in teams.
- Demonstrated experience using the Word suite, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
A plus if you have:
- Familiarity with data science and the use of big data, artificial intelligence (AI) / machine learning (ML) / natural language processing (NLP), and other emerging technologies with implications for health care and health research
- An interest in or commitment to health-related topics, such as: public health; science or health policy; research innovation; health inequities; health care; health services research (HSR).
- Previous leadership or people-management experience
- Familiarity with the scientific enterprise in the United States and related federal policies could be helpful, but not required.
The salary range is $68,000- $73,000 and is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
What you should know about AcademyHealth:
- We are a hybrid work environment with options for remote and in-office work.
- All employees are required to be fully vaccinated to work in the office, unless entitled to an accommodation.
- Applicants outside of the metropolitan DC area are encouraged to apply.
- Hiring process is conducted virtually, with interviews via phone or video; selected candidates will receive required instructions for interviews.
- A limited amount of travel to meetings is expected.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume and analytic writing sample to Human Resources via email: email@example.com. For more information, please go to www.academyhealth.org.
AcademyHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer: AcademyHealth will provide all applicants for employment and all employees with an equal opportunity regardless of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, or place of business or residence.
Diversity is an integral part of our organizational culture. For that reason, we seek to maintain staff diversity at all levels and provide an inclusive environment that embraces and values diverse ideas, talents and experiences. We will demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for, the differences within our personal, professional, and business relationships on behalf of AcademyHealth.