Inmaculada (Inma) Hernandez is an Associate Professor at the University of California, San Diego. Read Bio
The Alice S. Hersh Emerging Leader Award commemorates the dedication of Alice Hersh, the founding executive director of the Association for Health Services Research, and her commitment to supporting professional development in the field of health services research. This award therefore recognizes professionals early in their career who show exceptional promise for future contributions to the field of health services research. Award winners have consistently demonstrated increasing leadership in the field. For the purposes of this award, early career success and the potential for future impact may include a variety of achievements, including recognition and contributions to the field, publication, innovation or translation and dissemination of research into policy and practice. The award will be presented at the Annual Research Meeting and the winner will receive one complimentary registration and one night lodging to the conference.
The nomination period is now closed.
Eligibility and Nomination Criteria
- Nominees' first research appointment was no earlier than January 1, 2017. The first year of post-doctoral fellowship (or research position at a non-academic institution) will be considered the first year of research appointment. There may be an exception if the position provided training necessary for entry into the field. The eligibility period may be extended for a nominee who has taken a formal leave of absence from their employer.
- Nominees from a diverse range of institutions (e.g. academic, delivery systems, government, contract research, corporate) and leadership experiences (professional service, mentoring, community service and engagement, etc) are encouraged
- Nominees from minority-serving institutions and individuals from minoritized and historically excluded groups are encouraged.
- Nominations must include one letter of nomination (no more than two pages) that reviews the nominee's contributions to the field and how the nominee is emerging but not yet fully established in their career.
- Nominations must include the nominees' curriculum vitae
- Nominees and nominators must be members of AcademyHealth
- Self-nominations will be accepted and must include one letter of support attesting to the impact and value of your work as well as individuals who have used your work.
- Demonstrates leadership ability among peers and colleagues, including providing mentorship for peers and those new to the field
- Nominees’ show leadership qualities via active service and outreach through community engagement
- Demonstrates a developing portfolio of research likely to inform decision making in the future with an emerging and significant contribution to the field of HSR
- Has produced research related products beyond peer reviewed publications
- Demonstrates commitment to translation of research into policy and practice by ensuring that evidence is used to inform decisions that will improve the health of individuals and communities
- Connects with end users to inform and identify research questions and topics and shares findings
- Demonstrates ability to create a range of partnerships within the industry and HSR community
For awards related questions, please contact Troi Jones.