Geronimo Bejarano is an M.P.H. student at the University of Texas Health Science Center (UTHealth) and an incoming PhD student in Health Services Research at Brown University. Read Bio
The application period for the Alice S. Hersh Student Scholarship is now open! Applications are due Monday, March 11, 2024, at 5:00 p.m. ET.
AcademyHealth is pleased to offer the Alice S. Hersh Student Scholarship which provides free registrations to the Annual Research Meeting (ARM) for two selected applicants. The scholarship is designed to encourage professional and educational development in health services research and policy among student members.
This scholarship commemorates the dedication of Alice S. Hersh, the founding executive director of the Association for Health Services Research (AHSR), to supporting the next generation of health services researcher.
- I am a current student member of AcademyHealth. (Join here.)
- I am enrolled full-time in a masters or doctoral program at the time of application.
- I am not a past recipient of the AcademyHealth Alice S. Hersh Student Scholarship, the Public Health Systems Research Interest Group Student Scholarship, Diversity Scholars Program, or the Aetna Foundation Minority Scholars Program.
To apply, applicants must upload and submit a completed online application form, including in the submission:
- Current Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
- Signed letter of recommendation from your faculty advisor or work supervisor on official letterhead
Letter of recommendation prompts:
- Describe the applicant's potential to contribute to the field of health services research or health policy.
- Describe the applicant's demonstrated commitment to their focus, or to the field of health services research or health policy.
Scholarship Fund Drive
The Alice S. Hersh Student Scholarship Fund Drive is now open! Contributions to the Hersh Fund ensure future generations have the exposure and opportunities to launch their careers in health services research. Donations to the fund reinforce the commitment of our members to building a diverse, well-trained workforce to tackle some of the most challenging issues in health care delivery and health policy.
Extend your legacy as a leader in the field with a contribution to the 2022-2023 Alice S. Hersh Scholarship Fund drive.
Here is what past Alice S. Hersh Student Scholarship recipients have said about their experience:
“I received the Alice S. Hersh Scholarship to attend the 2021 Health Datapalooza...I was thrilled and honored to receive the support to attend a truly interdisciplinary conference that necessarily focused on overcoming challenges that the COVID-19 pandemic created and exacerbated, particularly our unfinished work on achieving health equity and health justice. My attendance...reiterated the importance of the research I was doing in health equity and value assessments, and it was the affirmation I needed while finishing my dissertation.”
- Anton L.V. Avanceña, Ph.D., The University of Texas at Austin College of Pharmacy
2021 Alice S. Hersh Student Scholarship Recipient
“The Alice S. Hersh scholarship was a tremendous opportunity for me. With the financial support of the scholarship, I was able to attend my first in-person conference at the 2022 Health Datapalooza...Throughout the conference, I made personal connections with researchers and health policy professionals at networking events and poster presentations, several whom I've maintained contact with and have reached out to with questions regarding my own career.”
- Zoe Lindenfeld, New York University School of Global Public Health
2022 Alice S. Hersh Student Scholarship Recipient