Us: The professional home and leading national organization for health services researchers (HSR), policymakers, and health care practitioners and stakeholders. AcademyHealth – together with its members – increases the understanding of methods and data used in the field, enhances the professional skills of researchers and research users, and advocates for the use of evidence to improve health and health care for all.
You: A mid-career professional who is self-motivated, innovative, highly organized, and capable of managing teams, external stakeholder relationships, and day-to-day project activities.
How you’ll contribute:
In this role, you will support the creation, translation, and dissemination of patient-centered and culturally competent health systems research to inform policy and practice. With funding from public and private grants and contracts, this team carries out projects in several topical areas including quality improvement, clinical decision-making, patient-centered outcomes research, social determinants of health, and the science of engagement and collaboration. Projects routinely apply methods such as qualitative and mixed methods research, learning collaboratives, evidence synthesis, and organization and facilitation of dynamic and diverse convenings.
This position offers a blend of project management and hands-on research activity.
- Develop and apply strategies to support Medicaid programs and health systems design and implement quality improvement initiatives.
- Convene diverse and representative learning collaboratives to support Medicaid programs and health systems in quality improvement initiatives.
- Conduct research, analyses, and syntheses to produce reports, technical assistance documentation, issue briefs, white papers, and other publications.
- Translate and disseminate research findings for policy, health care delivery system, and diverse community audiences.
- Manage program activities by creating work plans, developing and monitoring budgets, defining the scope of work and timelines, tracking progress on deliverables, and allocating appropriate staffing.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with diverse and representative partners and stakeholders.
- Develop, plan, and execute convenings on topics in health services research and policy including facilitating conference calls and in-person meetings.
- Work with project staff to ensure coordination of roles and responsibilities, and quality control of all deliverables.
- Identify, develop, and lead new initiatives that are consistent with AcademyHealth’s mission and strategic goals.
- Masters degree in health policy, public policy, public health or related field from accredited college or university or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum five years of substantive professional experience in patient-centered research, health services research, and/or health policy analysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of quality improvement in health systems, learning health systems, or similar and its relationship to population health, social determinants of health, health equity, and delivery systems reform.
- Familiarity with Medicaid policy, as well as patient and/or stakeholder engagement, particularly in the context of quality improvement and/or health research with diverse communities, including an understanding of the role of social determinants in health outcomes.
- Demonstrated project management experience, including the ability to efficiently plan, prioritize, and manage multiple, complex projects simultaneously with limited direct supervision.
- Demonstrated project development experience, including strategic thinking to determine how organizational and team goals align with needs of various audiences, partners, and funders.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing strategies to communicate technical information to decision makers. An understanding of, and experience using, new and emerging communications media and technologies is a plus.
- Proven qualitative or mixed methods research skills, including literature review and synthesis.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Business competence, including financial management, and fundraising skills.
- Creative and strategic thinking with emphasis on customer service, collaboration, and innovation.
- Mature; detail-oriented; able to work well under deadline pressure, work independently and with a team, and manage competing priorities.
- Highly developed interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- A sense of humor.
This is a Level 5 position. The salary range is $85,000 to $95,000. Salary is commensurate with experience.
What you should know:
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the AcademyHealth offices are temporarily closed. The successful candidate will work from home full-time until our physical office reopens. Once the office reopens, flexible and remote work options will be available to all employees by mutual agreement.
- Relocation to the Washington, D.C. region is not required.
- We are conducting our hiring process virtually and conducting interviews via phone or video until further notice. We will provide candidates selected for interviews with all the required instructions.
AcademyHealth offers a collegial work environment, countless professional development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references (with emails) to Human Resources via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference the position for which you are applying. For more information, please go to www.academyhealth.org.
AcademyHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer: AcademyHealth will provide all applicants for employment and all employees with an equal opportunity regardless of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, or place of business or residence.
Diversity is an integral part of our organizational culture. For that reason, we seek to maintain staff diversity at all levels; and to provide an inclusive environment that embraces and values diverse ideas, talents and experiences. We will demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for, the differences within our personal, professional, and business relationships on behalf of AcademyHealth.