Us: The professional home and leading national organization for health services researchers (HSR), policymakers, and health care practitioners and stakeholders. AcademyHealth – together with its members – increases the understanding of methods and data used in the field, enhances the professional skills of researchers and research users, and advocates for the use of evidence to improve health and health care for all. Our established priorities are: Science Innovation; Health Systems Improvement, Resilience and Capacity: and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Diversity is a core value at AcademyHealth. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment for all.
You: A mid-career professional who is kind, self-motivated, innovative, highly organized, and capable of managing teams, external stakeholder relationships, and day-to-day project activities.
We believe that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills. As such, you do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position - applications are welcomed from a broad range of applicants.
How you’ll contribute:
The Senior Manager will support strategic and programmatic efforts for AcademyHealth’s work with state health policymakers participating in our Evidence-Informed State Heath Policy Institute’s (ESHPI) portfolio of Medicaid-related projects and Networks (e.g., Medicaid Medical Director Network, State-University Partnership Learning Network), and other programs that advance the use of evidence-based research and promote health equity in health policy and practice. Projects routinely apply methods such as qualitative research, learning collaborative management, evidence synthesis, and organization and facilitation of dynamic and diverse convenings.
This position offers a blend of project management and hands-on research activity.
- Develop and apply strategies to support Medicaid programs and health systems design and implement quality improvement initiatives.
- Contribute to and manage day-to-day activities related to research, analysis and synthesis, implementation, and dissemination activities and products, such as environmental scans, literature reviews, semi-structured interviews, issue briefs, technical assistance documentation, and other publications.
- Manage program activities by creating work plans, developing and monitoring budgets, defining the scope of work and timelines, tracking progress on deliverables, and allocating appropriate staffing.
- Assist in the development of new programs and projects, including drafting proposals, and help to cultivate relationships with potential funders and subcontractors.
- Convene diverse and representative learning collaboratives to support Medicaid programs and health systems in quality improvement initiatives.
- Develop, plan, and execute convenings on topics in health services research and policy including facilitating conference calls and in-person meetings.
- Maintain and update program and project websites, online tools, and databases.
- Draft online newsletters, blogs, and other Web content.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with diverse and representative partners and stakeholders.
- Work with project staff to ensure coordination of roles and responsibilities, and quality control of all deliverables.
- Identify, develop, and lead new initiatives that are consistent with AcademyHealth’s mission and strategic goals.
- Contribute to strategic growth of ESHPI, as defined by elevating visibility and collaboration with peer organizations and policy stakeholders.
- Masters degree in health policy, public policy, public health or related field from accredited college or university or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum five years of substantive professional experience in patient-centered research, health services research, and/or health policy analysis.
- Commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to inclusive working and/or learning environments.
- Familiarity with Medicaid policy, as well as patient and/or stakeholder engagement, particularly in the context of quality improvement and/or health research with diverse communities, including an understanding of the role of social determinants in health outcomes.
- Demonstrated project management experience, including the ability to efficiently plan, prioritize, and manage multiple, complex projects simultaneously with limited direct supervision.
- Demonstrated project development experience, including strategic thinking to determine how organizational and team goals align with needs of various audiences, partners, and funders.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing strategies to communicate technical information to decision makers. An understanding of, and experience using, new and emerging communications media and technologies is a plus.
- Proven qualitative or mixed methods research skills, including literature review and synthesis.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Business competence, including financial management, and fundraising skills.
- Creative and strategic thinking with emphasis on customer service, collaboration, and innovation.
- Detail-oriented, able to work well under deadline pressure, work independently and with a team, and manage competing priorities.
- Highly developed interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Strong working knowledge of Zoom, Microsoft Teams, SurveyMonkey, etc.
What you should know:
- AcademyHealth is a hybrid work environment, with options for remote and in office work.
- AcademyHealth requires all employees to be fully vaccinated to work in the office, unless entitled to an accommodation.
- Applicants outside the metropolitan DC area are encouraged to apply.
- We will be conducting our hiring process virtually and conducting interviews via phone or video. We will provide candidates selected for interviews with all the required instructions.
This is a Level 5 position. The salary range is $85,000 to $95,000. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume and analytic writing sample to Human Resources via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please go to www.academyhealth.org.
AcademyHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer: AcademyHealth will provide all applicants for employment and all employees with an equal opportunity regardless of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, or place of business or residence.
Diversity is an integral part of our organizational culture. For that reason, we seek to maintain staff diversity at all levels; and to provide an inclusive environment that embraces and values diverse ideas, talents and experiences. We will demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for, the differences within our personal, professional, and business relationships on behalf of AcademyHealth.