Us: The professional home and leading national organization for health services researchers, policymakers, and health care practitioners and stakeholders. AcademyHealth – together with its members and partners – increases the understanding of methods and data used in the field, enhances the professional skills of a vibrant and diverse community of researchers and research users, supports the implementation of evidence to improve policy and practice, and advocates for the use of evidence to improve health and health care for all. Our established priorities are: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Health Systems Improvement, Resilience and Capacity; and Science Innovation. Diversity is a core value at AcademyHealth. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment for all and transforming our field to achieve higher impact, more equitable research.
AcademyHealth is a 501(c) 3 organization with a budget of $16M funded through foundation grants, federal contracts, conference registration, sponsorships, and membership.
You: A dynamic, experienced, strategic thought partner who will work closely with the President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO), senior leadership team, and Board of Directors to drive financial performance and operational excellence in a mission-driven organization that values innovation, collaboration, and people. This role is critical to our organization, and you will play a pivotal role in shaping our financial future.
We believe that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. As such, you do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position – applications are welcomed from a broad range of applicants.
How you’ll contribute:
As a key member of the executive leadership team, the Vice President of Operations (VP) and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will be charged with directing and overseeing all the financial activities of the organization including setting the overarching strategic financial vision, overseeing compliance and revenue recognition for government (federal and state) contracts and private grants, as well as developing and implementing policies and procedures to ensure best practices. In this highly visible role, the CFO will provide staff support to the AcademyHealth Board and various committees.
The Vice President and CFO will also be responsible for providing leadership and direction for the financial and administrative operations, including facility management, finance, and information technology, of the organization.
The successful candidate will work effectively with the President and CEO and other senior staff members to set and achieve the strategic agenda of AcademyHealth. The VP/CFO also coordinates with the Board Treasurer and Finance Committee to facilitate fiduciary oversight.
This position reports to the President and CEO.
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership:
- Serve as the primary financial officer of the organization and a strategic partner to the executive leadership team providing sound financial counsel and guidance on corporate operations and nonprofit management.
- Architect recommendations on overarching fiscal policy, strategic planning, operational and IT goals and priorities, investment policies risk management and best practices to propel the organization forward.
- Develop short and long-term financial plans, analyze, and forecast to assist the President and CEO and senior staff in setting strategic priorities and implementing initiatives. Provide analysis and recommendations to inform program decisions, new initiatives, and the allocation of capital and financial resources.
- Work with senior team to evaluate new business models and revenue streams.
- Act as key liaison to Board Treasurer and Finance Committee.
- Serve as a strategic thinker and a pro-active financial leader with high emotional intelligence and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Maintain an effective financial management system to budget, control and properly account for the $16 million annual operating budget.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls and financial procedures are in place to comply with relevant financial and legal regulations (ex: GAAP, FASB, and IRS).
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for senior management, Board of Directors and external parties including funders; oversee and finalize the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements, reports and KPI’s.
- Develop and utilize projection models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
- Prepare and monitor the annual corporate budget and forecasts; and present them to the Board of Directors.
- Oversee the grants management team and provide review of financial aspects for new program development.
- Provide executive leadership with advice on the financial implications of business activities, including new business opportunities, programmatic budgets, alternative revenue generation methodologies and risk management alternatives.
- Take responsibility for all cash management, investments and insurance policies,
- Develop new business analytics to support the mission.
- Develop and maintain relationships with audit, banking, investment, legal and insurance professionals.
- Direct and finalize all audit activities and proper filing of tax returns.
Information Technology (IT):
- Ensure IT's mission, priorities, plans, and staffing complement support AcademyHealth’s mission and strategic objectives.
- Ensure the organization is leveraging IT for efficiency and innovation while adhering to budget parameters.
- Lead a team of financial services and information technology staff of six employees.
- Develop and implement operational strategies, policies, and procedures to drive efficiency, productivity, and profitability.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to optimize processes, streamline workflows, and enhance operational efficiency.
- Build on the deep experience of the team, foster professional development for all staff members while leading and motivating a team to achieve program results.
- Master’s degree in accounting or finance from accredited college or university; a CPA preferred.
- Ten years of demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting.
- Five years supervisory or management experience, including both management of complex projects and/or programs and supervision of staff.
- Strong leadership ability that fosters high standards and team spirit.
- Proven ability to manage all financial activities of a nonprofit organization with revenue from a wide range of sources that include government agencies and private foundations.
- Proven success in preparing and presenting financial statements, reports, and KPI dashboards; coordinating audits, and ability to work well with senior staff, board committees, and vendors.
- Experience in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting to government, corporate and foundation grants is essential.
- Business competence and negotiation skills.
- Strong organizational, strategic, analytic skills, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Functional competence including mastery of financial and managerial accounting, treasury operations, etc.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to develop effective cross-functional relationships.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing operational strategies and initiatives to achieve business objectives.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Customer Relationship Software (CRM), and Accounting Software.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and needs of the organization.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and proposing new ways of creating efficiencies.
- Proficient in using data and analytics to drive operational improvements and optimize performance.
What you should know:
- AcademyHealth is a hybrid work environment, with options for remote and in office work.
- Applicants outside the metropolitan DC area are encouraged to apply.
- We will be conducting our hiring process virtually and conducting interviews via phone or video. We will provide candidates selected for interviews with all the required instructions.
The salary range is $225,000- $250,000 and is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume to Human Resources via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please go to www.academyhealth.org.
AcademyHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer: AcademyHealth will provide all applicants for employment and all employees with an equal opportunity regardless of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, or place of business or residence.
Diversity is an integral part of our organizational culture. For that reason, we seek to maintain staff diversity at all levels; and to provide an inclusive environment that embraces and values diverse ideas, talents and experiences. We will demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for, the differences within our personal, professional, and business relationships on behalf of AcademyHealth.