The Blueprint: Paradigm Project Updates
This month’s edition of the Blueprint includes an NYTimes op-ed on the debate surrounding tenure policies, a case study in developing and supporting multi-sector partnerships to address social determinants of health, and more.
Through the Paradigm Project, AcademyHealth convened a May 2021 meeting to examine how aspects of open science might enhance HSR capabilities to produce high-quality, timely, and relevant evidence to inform policy and practice. This report summarizes topics of exploration among the meeting participants and outlines a range of possible next steps including:
- Developing a common open science terminology for HSR to ensure mutual understanding of key principles and terms and developing a “suite of practices” for researchers and institutions to consider for adoption.
- Creating an AcademyHealth interest group focused on open science and open access policies and practices, including issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- And more.
Additionally, the recording of the Paradigm Project’s latest webinar, “Asking Better Questions, Making a Bigger Impact: A Changemaker Chat with Dr. Don Berwick and Dr. Rebekah Gee,” is now available. Listen in as Dr. Don Berwick, President Emeritus and Senior Fellow at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement and Dr. Rebekah Gee, CEO of Healthcare Services at Louisiana State University address the following questions:
- What are the key questions researchers should address to inform policymaking around social determinants of health, disparities, and systemic racism?
- What will be the key questions for policymakers and health system leaders related to innovation in technology and health?
- How can we better align health services research to the priorities of policymakers and health system leaders?
- What else should we be doing to bridge the gaps between researchers and decision-makers?
- And more.
Additional information can be found at AcademyHealth.org/ParadigmProject.