The State-University Partnership Learning Network (SUPLN), managed by AcademyHealth’s Evidence-Informed State Health Policy Institute, collaboratively works to support evidence-based state health policy and practice with a focus on transforming Medicaid-based healthcare, including improving the patient experience, improving the health of populations, and reducing the per capita cost of healthcare. The SUPLN will accomplish this mission by:
- Building a learning community of partnerships to share and spread best practices and relevant health projects.
- Facilitating dialogue between state government and state university research centers to improve partnership efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability.
- Supporting state government’s capacity to conduct high-quality policy and data analysis.
- Informing state university centers’ research with the practical expertise of state officials and promoting state considerations in the research questions and methods.
- Providing a mechanism for comparative studies across states (addressing questions that would benefit from a multi-state perspective).
- Exploring and supporting the development of new partnerships.
AcademyHealth’s Evidence-Informed State Health Policy Institute engages the SUPLN for the following projects:
AcademyHealth’s Medicaid Outcomes Distributed Research Network (MODRN) is a collaborative effort to analyze data across multiple states to facilitate learning among Medicaid agencies. Participants from AcademyHealth’s State-University Partnership Learning Network (SUPLN) and the Medicaid Medical Director Network (MMDN) developed MODRN to allow states to participate in valuable and timely, multi-state data analyses while retaining their own data and analytic capacity.
AcademyHealth's Evidence-Informed State Health Policy Institute, in collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh, leverage the Medicaid Outcomes Distributed Research Network to produce a comprehensive assessment of OUD treatment performance in 13 state Medicaid programs.
With support from the Medicaid and CHIP Payment & Access Commission, AcademyHealth’s Evidence-Informed State Health Policy Institute in collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh leverages SUPLN and the existing MODRN-OUD project infrastructure to explore the use of non-opioid controlled substances and the treatment of non-opioid substance use disorders
With support from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Foundation, AcademyHealth’s Evidence-Informed State Health Policy Institute in collaboration with the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill assesses syphilis testing among pregnant Medicaid beneficiaries as well as rates of STI testing of state Medicaid beneficiaries on PrEP.
AcademyHealth leads this learning collaborative of Medicaid demonstration evaluation researchers aimed at examining the policy questions, and study designs, methodologies, data sources and metrics used in Medicaid 1115 demonstration initiatives
With support from the HHS’ Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, AcademyHealth’s Evidence-Informed State Health Policy Institute and NORC are exploring state-level approaches to improve maternal health outcomes. This project strives to better understand state-based initiatives focused on improving maternal health outcomes, the data capacity required, and existing gaps therein to conduct such efforts, including patient-centered outcomes research on maternal health.
Partnerships: Access the SUPLN members-only website here.