Dr Abdul Shaikh is a Director at Guidehouse (formerly PwC Public Sector) where he dedicates his energy helping Federal agencies, non-profits, and other health ecosystem organizations identify and develop essential capabilities in population health and precision medicine. He has a passion for advancing new and sustainable models for health data infrastructure, commercializing evidence-based digital health interventions, and developing cross-sector partnerships in biomedicine and public health.
Abdul brings a seasoned perspective to his work grounded in extensive experience translating science-into-practice across the healthcare ecosystem. Prior to Guidehouse, Abdul led a program of health innovation research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) resulting in several ‘firsts’ where his cross-agency leadership was recognized by the HHS Office of the Secretary for advancing public sector innovation. These include leading the first federal pilot integrating/visualizing disparate health-related data, the first HHS innovation prize competitions, and the first NIH small business innovation grants for population health.
Abdul enjoys mentoring committed health innovation startups and has advised industry accelerators, incubators, and catalysts including the Health Datapalooza, HHS Innovation Council, and Wharton Innovation Summit. A seasoned presenter and author, Abdul led a recent thought leadership series on health innovation covering topics such as open science, data ownership, and blockchain. He has judged healthcare innovation competitions, conducted peer reviews for scientific grants and publications, and mentored digital health startups.
Education and Certifications
Ph.D. Health Behavior & Health Education, University of Michigan School of Public Health
M.Sc Health Promotion, University of Toronto School of Public Health
B.Sc Bio-Psychology, University of Toronto
- Shaikh, A., Mutscher, G. (2014-15). Health Data Consortium & PwC: Innovators in Health Data Series: http://bit.ly/1p8y5sq. Select publications follow:
- Karen DeSalvo, MD, MPH: Insights from ONC – An Interview with Dr. Karen DeSalvo (June 22, 2015)
- Eric Topol, MD: Evolving Models for Data Ownership in Medicine (Feb 25, 2015)
- Francis Collins, MD, PhD, Joe Selby, MD, MPH, Philip Bourne, PhD: From Research to Practice – New Models for Data-Sharing and Collaboration to Improve Health and Healthcare (May 28, 2014)
- Shaikh, A.R., Butte, A.J., Schully, S.D., Dalton, W.S., Khoury, M.J., Hesse, B.W. (2014). Collaborative Biomedicine in the Age of Big Data: The Case of Cancer. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 16(4): e101.
- Ricciardi, L. and Shaikh, A. Informing National Priorities for Research on the Use of Health IT to Support Patient Centered Communication and Care Coordination for Cancer, July 6, 2012: http://bit.ly/1ts8ZWc.
- Shaikh, A., Prabhu Das, I., Vinson, C., Spring, B. (2011). Cyberinfrastructure for Consumer Health. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 40 (5): s91-s250.
Involvement with AcademyHealth:
- Committee Member - 2018 Health Datapalooza