Abdul Shaikh, Ph.D., M.H.Sc., collaborates with government, non-profit, and commercial health executives to create innovative solutions that deliver material results. Possessing over 15 years’ experience advancing evidence-to-practice in clinical and public health, Dr. Shaikh helps his clients identify and build capacity to become more agile and innovative at all levels of practice: Governance, strategy, policy, research, regulatory, and community engagement. As the Guidehouse Population Health Team Leader, he assembles and leads multi-disciplinary teams supporting strategic planning, developing roadmaps for growth, gaining stakeholder alignment, navigating risk, and implementing change. Prior to Guidehouse/PwC, Dr. Shaikh led a program in health services research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) that was recognized by the HHS Office of the Secretary for advancing public sector innovation, leading the first federal Competes Act innovation prize competitions, and the first NIH small business innovation awards for population health. Dr. Shaikh routinely works with and presents to boards, executive leaders, and elected officials on critical public health priorities, and he is a sought-after author and speaker affiliated with organizations including AcademyHealth, APHA, HIMSS, NIH, Wharton, and WSJ.
Education and Certifications
Ph.D. Health Behavior & Health Education, University of Michigan School of Public Health
M.Sc Health Promotion, University of Toronto School of Public Health
B.Sc Bio-Psychology, University of Toronto
- Shaikh, A., Mutscher, G. (2014-15). Health Data Consortium & PwC: Innovators in Health Data Series: http://bit.ly/1p8y5sq. Select publications follow:
- Karen DeSalvo, MD, MPH: Insights from ONC – An Interview with Dr. Karen DeSalvo (June 22, 2015)
- Eric Topol, MD: Evolving Models for Data Ownership in Medicine (Feb 25, 2015)
- Francis Collins, MD, PhD, Joe Selby, MD, MPH, Philip Bourne, PhD: From Research to Practice – New Models for Data-Sharing and Collaboration to Improve Health and Healthcare (May 28, 2014)
- Shaikh, A.R., Butte, A.J., Schully, S.D., Dalton, W.S., Khoury, M.J., Hesse, B.W. (2014). Collaborative Biomedicine in the Age of Big Data: The Case of Cancer. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 16(4): e101.
- Ricciardi, L. and Shaikh, A. Informing National Priorities for Research on the Use of Health IT to Support Patient Centered Communication and Care Coordination for Cancer, July 6, 2012: http://bit.ly/1ts8ZWc.
- Shaikh, A., Prabhu Das, I., Vinson, C., Spring, B. (2011). Cyberinfrastructure for Consumer Health. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 40 (5): s91-s250.
Involvement with AcademyHealth:
- Committee Member - 2018 Health Datapalooza