AcademyHealth and the ABIM Foundation launched the Research Community on Low-Value Care in April 2016, and the Donaghue Foundation joined this partnership in October 2018. The community is a professional network for research producers and users to advance their work in eliminating low-value care in the U.S. and abroad. Composed of over 400 members to date, the community includes researchers in academic and other settings, health system representatives, patients/consumers, clinicians, health plans, and policymakers. The goals of the research community include:
- Fostering connections, communications, and collaborations among researchers and end-users with an interest in reducing low-value care;
- Facilitating exchange of information on new evidence, research methods, and funding opportunities;
- Identifying and spurring dialogue on shared challenges and key priorities for strengthening research, practice, and policy; and
- Helping to generate new collaborations to conduct research or implement research findings.
Joining the community provides members with the opportunity to connect and interact with peers; augment their knowledge on the latest research evidence, best practices, tools, data, and funding opportunities; and access webinars, sessions, and thematic groups to learn, network, and find opportunities for collaboration to address key low-value care challenges.
- Receive highlights on the latest research findings, national and regional conferences, and funding opportunities related to research on low-value care.
- Dive deeper into examples of interventions, research methods, and findings through organized webinars.
- Expand your network by making connections with members in the community through webinars, shared challenges and solution sessions, and other group discussions.
- Find future research partners and professional collaborators.
- Become a mentor and/or a mentee to guide and learn.
- Join a thematic group to address a core issue in research on low-value care and work with peers to find solutions.
- Publish papers or thought pieces with other members.
- Tackle shared challenges in low-value care research by engaging in dialogue during organized sessions.
- Share your ideas, present during webinars, and learn about your peers’ interests and work to explore potential ways to collaborate.
- Find collaborators in the community for proposal development.
Reducing Low-Value Care Among Vulnerable Populations
This post on the Health Affairs blog emphasizes the need to reduce low-value care among vulnerable population, and discusses challenges and opportunities in doing so. This blog post was a product of a Thematic Working Group focused on Low-Value Care Among Vulnerable Populations, commissioned by the Research Community on Low-Value Care. Published June 10, 2019.
What Is the Status of Research on Low-Value Care?
This post on the Health Affairs Grantwatch Blog analyzes trends in Low-Value care research over the past five years, as documented in the database HSRProj. The analysis examines the overall volume of research conducted, the leading funders and the research phase of projects conducted, among several other attributes. Published January 8, 2020.
Imagining a World Without Low-Value Services: Progress, Barriers, and the Path Forward
Reflecting upon the 2019 Summit, “Imagining a World Without Low-Value Care: What Will it Take?” sponsored by AcademyHealth, the Donaghue Foundation, and the ABIM Foundation, in collaboration with the Kaiser Permanente Center for Total Health and the Veterans Administration, this commentary published in the American Journal of Managed Care explores the main barriers preventing progress against low-value care and highlights promising solutions.